If the BMW battery warning light on the dashboard comes on while driving and iDrive displays a warning message, the charging system is not working properly. The problem most likely is a bad alternator or battery, but the fault may be something other than these two components.
- 1 Why does my car say charging malfunction?
- 2 What causes a charging malfunction?
- 3 What does charging system warning mean?
- 4 What does charging malfunction mean in a BMW?
- 5 What does it mean when a BMW says charging malfunction?
- 6 How do you diagnose a charging system problem?
- 7 How much does it cost to fix charging system failure?
- 8 How much does it cost to fix the alternator?
- 9 How long can you drive with battery light?
- 10 How can you tell if your alternator is bad?
- 11 How do I know if I need a new battery BMW?
- 12 What are the signs that your car needs a new battery?
- 13 What happens when the battery dies in a BMW?
Why does my car say charging malfunction?
Whenever this light goes on, it means that the vehicle is running solely on battery power. If the problem continues and your charging system fails, the battery won’t be able to recharge and it will soon run down, leaving you with a dead battery.
What causes a charging malfunction?
Another common problem that can cause the charging system to fail is a broken alternator belt or one that is worn so bad it slips badly. If the alternator works properly but the belt doesn’t spin it fast enough, the voltage output can drop and cause the system to act as though the alternator doesn’t work.
What does charging system warning mean?
If something is not right with the charging system, you’ll see a warning light. If this warning lamp lights up while the engine is running, it means that there is a problem in the charging system, usually that the battery has gone bad or the alternator has stopped working.
What does charging malfunction mean in a BMW?
It sounds like there is a problem with the drive belt. It drives the alternator, water pump, and power steering pump. The belt may have broke, or some fluid leaked onto it causing it to slip. The alternator could have seized, or an idler pulley, or another part of the belt drives.
What does it mean when a BMW says charging malfunction?
Most BMW charging system problems are caused by a faulty alternator or weak battery. To troubleshoot your BMW battery problems, start by checking the charging system to determine if the battery and alternator function properly. Battery – In most cases, a car battery lasts anywhere from 3 to 5 years.
How do you diagnose a charging system problem?
Troubleshoot Your Alternator Charging System in 4 Steps
- 1- Conduct a Visual Inspection Under the Hood. Inspect belt condition and tension.
- 2- Visually Inspect and Test the Batteries.
- 3- Perform a System Voltage Test.
- 4- Test Alternator Output.
How much does it cost to fix charging system failure?
How much do alternator repairs cost? It depends if a repair is possible. If not, you’ll have to have it replaced, which can run between $500 to $1,000 (including parts and labor). Otherwise, for something simple like replacing an alternator belt, expect to pay about $100-$150 (not including diagnosis).
How much does it cost to fix the alternator?
When your car starts having electrical problems, it’s a sign you need an alternator replacement. Considering the price of a new alternator as well as labor, you should expect to spend anywhere between $500 and $1,000 to get a new one for your vehicle.
How long can you drive with battery light?
You can drive the car with the battery light on but you will only have on average 15 minutes. After roughly 15 minutes, your car will run out of electrical power and the car will stall.
How can you tell if your alternator is bad?
7 Signs of a Failing Alternator
- Dim or Overly Bright Lights.
- Dead Battery.
- Slow or Malfunctioning Accessories.
- Trouble Starting or Frequent Stalling.
- Growling or Whining Noises.
- Smell of Burning Rubber or Wires.
- Battery Warning Light on Dash.
How do I know if I need a new battery BMW?
How to Know if Your Car Battery Needs to be Replaced?
- Dimming headlights.
- More frequent need for engine revving or jump starts.
- Takes longer to start the engine when you turn the key/push the button.
- Unusual power fluctuations.
What are the signs that your car needs a new battery?
Here are seven telltale signs that your car battery is dying:
- A slow starting engine. Over time, the components inside your battery will wear out and become less effective.
- Dim lights and electrical issues.
- The check engine light is on.
- A bad smell.
- Corroded connectors.
- A misshapen battery case.
- An old battery.
What happens when the battery dies in a BMW?
BMW recommends that the battery is charged via the jump start terminals under the hood. Connect your charger now, red clamp first and proceed to slow charging the battery. A dead battery can take up to 24 hours to fully charge. Do not let the key in the ignition while the battery is charging.