Another method to test BMW wheel speed sensors is to use a digital multimeter and measure resistance. Remove each wheel one at a time. Disconnect the ABS sensor wire and measure the resistance of each sensor. ABS sensor resistance should measure around 1000 ohms.
How do you know if your ABS speed sensor is bad?
Five Common Signs of ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Failure
- Sign #1: The ABS Light Stays On.
- Sign #2: Traction and/or Stability Control is Disabled.
- Sign #3: It Takes Longer to Stop Your Vehicle.
- Sign #4: Your Vehicle Becomes Unstable During Braking.
- Sign #5: ABS Works Erratically.
What are the symptoms of a bad ABS module?
Signs Of A Faulty ABS Module
- The ABS Warning Light Glows. This is the most common sign of problems with the ABS system.
- The Brakes Lock Up. The ABS system is specifically designed to prevent any wheel from locking up during heavy braking.
- An Unresponsive Brake Pedal.
- Increased Pedal Effort.
- Speedometer Failure.
What happens when ABS wheel speed sensor goes bad?
loss of stability and traction control: if it detects a bad wheel speed sensor, the abs computer will usually disable the stability and traction control systems, as well. on some vehicles, a bad wheel speed sensor may affect other functions as well, such as hill-start assist and roll stability.
How many ohms should a speed sensor read?
The typical reading for a passive wheel speed sensor is between 1,000 and 2,500 ohms. This is a normal range for all passive sensors. The specification for active sensors is between 1,000 and 2,500 ohms.
What is the resistance of a wheel speed sensor?
A wheel speed sensor and circuit will usually have a resistance of 800 to 1400 ohms. Measure the resistance across the sensor itself if it has too much resistance.
How many ohms should a ABS sensor have?
On a passive ABS sensor, measuring resistance across the signal and ground leads generally produces a reading of 800-2000 ohms. A steady reading within this range indicates a good sensor. If the resistance is constantly changing or increasing on the meter, the sensor is faulty.