BMW Diesel Engine – Timing Chain Failure BMW timing chains have snapped on a range of models across the 1, 3 5 Series, most commonly affecting the N47 diesel. We also rebuild M57 N57 diesel engines, BMW petrol engines also BMW Minis.
- 1 Which BMW engines have timing chain Problems?
- 2 What BMW cars have the N47 engine?
- 3 Has BMW fixed timing chain problem?
- 4 What year BMW engines have timing chain Problems?
- 5 What year BMW had timing chain Problems?
- 6 How do I know if my BMW has a N47 engine?
- 7 Is the BMW N47 engine any good?
- 8 What is the most reliable BMW engine?
- 9 How long do BMW timing chains last?
- 10 Do BMW petrol engines have timing chain Problems?
- 11 Does the B47 have timing chain issues?
- 12 Which BMW engine do I have?
- 13 What engine is in a BMW 520d 2015?
Which BMW engines have timing chain Problems?
Different issues have been seen in the BMW engines like the timing chain problem. These issues have been prevalent in some variants of the BMW 320d 2.0 Diesel, 520D 2.0 Diesel and X5 330D 3.0 Diesel.
What BMW cars have the N47 engine?
2.0 L (121.7 cu in, 1,995 cc, D20)
- E81, E82, E87 and E88 118d.
- E90 and E91 318d.
- F20 118d.
- F30 and F31 318d.
- 2009-2015 BMW E84 sDrive18d and xDrive18d.
- 2010–2016 MINI Countryman Cooper SD (R60)
- 2010–2014 MINI Cooper SD (R56)
- 2010–2015 MINI Cabrio Cooper SD (R57)
Has BMW fixed timing chain problem?
In January 2015, BMW redesigned the timing chain components, which seems to have significantly reduced the chance of failure. For certain vehicles produced prior to 2015, BMW offered an extended warranty for 7 years/70,000 miles on the timing chain and components.
What year BMW engines have timing chain Problems?
A range of BMW diesel engines produced between 2006 and 2012 appear to have a design problem affecting the timing chain. The engine timing chain is very weak – it stretches over time, and ultimately snaps.
What year BMW had timing chain Problems?
The problem dates back to 2007 and the creation of BMW’s hugely popular 2.0-litre diesel engine family, which carried the internal code name of N47.
How do I know if my BMW has a N47 engine?
The easiest way to tell are as follows:
- Exhaust pipe – Cars with the oval shaped exhaust pipe have the N47 engine and DPF fitted.
- Start/stop – Cars fitted with the N47 engine also have Efficient Dynamics which means the engine will cut out automatically to save fuel when stationery in traffic and car is put in neutral.
Is the BMW N47 engine any good?
Models from this era suffer from a specific problem, the N47 engine has a weakness; basically the power plant is prone to excessive timing chain wear. Throughout 2013 and 2014 BMW owners have reported numerous cases of engine failures, many of which led to terminal decline.
What is the most reliable BMW engine?
The 6 Most Reliable BMW Engines Ever
- BMW B58 Engine.
- BMW M20 Engine.
- BMW M50 Engine.
- BMW S62 Engine.
- BMW N52 Engine.
- BMW M54 Engine.
How long do BMW timing chains last?
Replacement Guidelines BMW and MINI use Timing Chains in almost every model of engine that they produce.It is recommended to replace your timing chain before failure as repair prices can become very high from internal engine damage. From experience the life of these timing chains are 90,000 miles or 9 years.
Do BMW petrol engines have timing chain Problems?
Petrol and diesel 1, 3, and 5 Series BMWs made between 2004 and 2011 appear to have suffered a higher proportion of problems with their four-cylinder engines’ timing chains than other cars of that age. However, BMW issued a recall for this engine, and it was performed on many cars to prevent the issue.
Does the B47 have timing chain issues?
all should be good. Newer 3 and 5 series don’t even have that engine. I think from 2014 or so they sport the B47 (I believe its called). It appears from what I’m reading, the B47 suffered no issues with the timing chain and the issue in the newer Bimmers is all but forgotten.
Which BMW engine do I have?
Search for the VIN of your BMW. BMWs list the VIN on the left side of the dash looking in through the windshield or in the right inner fender. The fourth through eighth number in the VIN indicate features including the engine type.
What engine is in a BMW 520d 2015?
What engine is in 2015 BMW F10 5 Series Sedan LCI 520d xDrive? The 2015 BMW F10 5 Series Sedan LCI 520d xDrive has a Inline 4, Diesel engine with 1995 cm3 / 121.7 cu-in capacity.